Monday, September 26, 2005

A Life Lived Well

Recently we had a family friend pass away. I've often told people that if given my choice between weddings and funerals - I'll take funerals every time. God can teach us so much when we look back at a life.

Bill was not famous. His name will not be remembered in a any book, there will not be monuments erected to him. He did not get elected to office or perform a public act of heroism. All Bill did was live his life, serve his God, love his family and reach out to those he came in contact with. When Bill died at the age of 60 as a result of a car accident - over 450 people came to his funeral. Family, friends, coworkers and aquaintances all came to honor a man who had impacted their life.

A year ago as a church we worked throught the Rick Warren book The Purpose Driven Life. This book is among a few that I think should be required reading to be a human. This idea of having a purpose was a part of Bill's life. This "purpose" was not a grand scheme or plan but rather a life quietly lived in harmony with how God had created him. It has been a challenge to me to make sure I am living my life to make a difference in the lives of those around me.

Live the life you were created to live and you will make a difference.

Dan

No comments: